Work carried out of time
Work to preserve the abbey has been carried out by successive owners with the help of the Association of the Friends of the Abbaye de Villelongue.
The following restorations were completed between 1970 and 1998 :
- the tiling of the roof of the remaining wing of the cloister, the four chapels and the lateral doors of the abbey church (abbatiale)
- the restoration of the monks refectory
- the drainage of the interior and exterior of the monument
- the installation of stained glass windows in the chapter house (salle capitulaire)
- the restoration of murals in the sacristy
- the restoration of the converts cellarium
Recent work carried out
Consolidation of stone work of the church and weather-proofing of the vaulted ceilings of the choir.
- Cost (incl tax) : 286.604 euros
- Financed by : Government – 50%, Languedoc Roussillon region – 10%, General Council of the Aude – 20%, Association of the Friends of the Abbaye de Villelongue – 20%
2007 – 2009 :
Renewal of the roofs of the abbey and consolidation of stone work of the pigeon tour
- Cost (incl tax) : 76.509 euros
- Financed by : Government – 50%, Languedoc Roussillon region – 10%, General Council of the Aude – 20%, S.C.I. of the Abbaye de Villelongue – 20%
Preliminary study of the restoration of the refectory, the chapter house and the walsways of the cloisters.
- Projected cost (incl tax) : 24.000 euros
- Financement : Etat – 50%.Conseil Général de l'Aude - 15%. Association des Amis de l'Abbaye de Villelongue – 35%.